All students and staff are expected to behave in a respectful manner towards one another. No physical lashing out or abusive language/behaviour will be tolerated. If anyone displays this kind of behaviour they will be spoken to. Any student that The Island Dance and Theatre Company feels is bullying anyone else will be given a verbal warning and if behaviour persists the individual will be asked to leave. While The Island Dance and Theatre Company shall make every reasonable effort to improve the knowledge and ability of the student, the student cannot expect to improve unless he/she fully co-operates with the teacher and in particular adheres to the practice sessions advised by the teachers.
The school encourages all staff and students to:
- Respect every individual’s feelings and views.
- Recognise that everyone is important and that our differences make each of us special
- Show appreciation of others by acknowledging individual qualities, contributions and progress.
- Ensure safety by having rules and practices carefully explained and displayed for all to see.
Bullying will not be accepted or condoned. All forms of bullying will be addressed.
Bullying can include:
- Physical pushing, kicking, hitting, pinching etc
- Name calling, sarcasm, spreading rumours, persistent teasing and emotional torment through ridicule, humiliation and the continual ignoring of individuals.
- Sectarian/racial taunts, graffiti, gestures – sexual comments and/or suggestions
- Unwanted physical contact.
Those from ethnic minorities, the disabled, or those with learning difficulties are more vulnerable to this form of abuse and may well be targeted.
Everybody has the responsibility to work together to stop bullying – teachers, parents/guardians, the child/young person.
The school is committed to the early identification of bullying and prompt, collective action to deal with it.